Man-Tou (not Manto)
1 cup warm milk
1/4 cup oil
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup warm water (125 grams)
1/2 cup sugar (115 grams)
5 cups flour (875 grams)
1 Tbsp yeast (instant)
- If using regular yeast, mix it with warm water and 1 Tbsp sugar. let sit for 10 min.
- Mix all liquid and egg
- Add liquid into flour, sugar, and instant yeast mix. Stir and knead to form dough. May have to use more flour so dough does not stick to hands. (Normally need at least an extra cup of flour)
- Let rise in oiled bowl, covered in a warm place for about 1-1.5 hours until doubled in size.
- Punch dough down, Divide into 2. Knead each portion until air bubbles are gone and texture is smooth. (Dough should be white)
- Roll out into a tube and cut into desired size (eg. 5cm diameter, 5cm tall) and let rise ~30 minutes.
Steam for 12 minutes (Bun on parchment paper works best) In Instant Pot: Steam button for 6 minutes